“Dating abuse is a pattern of abusive behaviours used to exert power and control over a dating partner.” (Sanderson, 2008)
Abusive behaviour can start quite early in a new relationship, and signs to look out for include:
- Negative comments about your appearance or clothing
- Attempts to sabotage nights out with your friends
- Swings from extreme romantic gestures to cruel and unnecessary comments or behaviour
- Monitoring your movements 24/7
- Incessant texts or phone calls
These are just some of the behaviours that perpetrators of abuse display at the start of a relationship.
If you are not sure if what you are experiencing is dating abuse, it can help you if you talk through your situation with someone. You can contact GEWA for support on 0141 781 0230.